Sue Bookchin is the Executive Director of the Be the Peace Institute. She has been a facilitator, trainer and coach for over 20 years working in a variety of sectors with individuals, companies and teams. In all her work, it is particularly rewarding when people recognize something in one another they can connect with. When there is excitement in pursuing what we care deeply about, in camaraderie with others, it is truly inspiring. The Be the Peace Institute has ignited that kind of excitement in Sue. For her, it is a privilege to be in service to community and to social change that honours women; that values their contributions to a just and life-nurturing world; that cares enough to end violence against them, locally and globally. Sue was the Project Co-Coordinator of the Be the Peace project of Second Story Women’s Centre – a three-year initiative funded through Status of Women Canada to coordinate a community response to violence against women and girls in Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia. She is moved and humbled by the people who have shared their stories – women and men. She yearns for a world where violence against women is as obsolete and socially unacceptable as drinking and driving, not wearing seat belts, or selling cigarettes to children.”As we come together for meaningful and engaging conversations and try deeply to understand ourselves, one another and the complex systems we live and work within, we can, together, find the pathways for positive and peaceful change. Let us rise up together and stand for peace.” Contact Sue.
Stacey Godsoe is the Project Officer for our Status of Women project, ” Pathways to Justice for Women Affected by Gendered”. Violence“. Stacey co-coordinated the “Power of our Voices” project funded through Justice Canada and is the former Co-Coordinator of SASLQ (Sexual Assault Services Lunenburg Queens). Contact Stacey.
Stephanie Balcome is our Financial Coordinator.
Our Board of Directors
- Helen Lanthier (Chair) – retired School Principal and former Administrative Coordinator, Second Story Women’s Centre. Contact Helen
- Sue Bookchin (Vice-Chair and Corporate Secretary) – see above
- Sylvia Booth (Treasurer) – entrepreneur
- Pam Birdsall – entreprenuer, artisan, former MLA
- Sally Hutchinson – Support Coordinator, Second Story Women’s Centre (on temporary leave)
- Nancy Ross – Assistant Professor, Dalhousie University, School of Social Work
- Teresa Quilty – Consultant
- Alicia Vandesande – entrepreneur